We recently had a chat with CoderDojo youth mentor and Coolest Projects ninja, Niall, about his experience at CoderDojo and advice for young developers.
When did you join your Dojo and why?
- I joined CoderDojo Enniscorthy because my Dad heard about CoderDojo on the radio and thought I would enjoy it.
Do you remember what you thought about coding then?
- I didn’t really fully understand what coding was then. I suppose I just thought of it as a set of instructions.
Do you have any other hobbies or interests? If so, tell us about them.
- I play Hurling, football, golf, tennis, hockey and swimming mainly. I also sing.
What’s the favourite project that you’ve built with technology?
- My favourite project I’ve worked on so far is My Voice 2.0. I submitted it for the Coolest Projects 2016! A description and pictures can be found here.
How did you move on from the first language you learnt?
- I first learn’t HTML and that kind of lead on to CSS. Then PHP > Java > C > C++ > Objective C > Swift
What would your dream job be?
- Probably at Google or Apple.
What advice/top tips would you offer to other young coders starting out?
- Give it a go. Find what you like making. Never stay to long on the one thing or you’ll get bored.
Niall recently worked with the team over at Salesforce to develop a new app which is now on the app store, read all about it here. Congratulations Niall on releasing your 4th app! You are a inspiration to us all!
Do you have a cool project that you created at your CoderDojo? Register it today for the Coolest Projects Exhibition!
Photo credit: Irish Times